Friday, April 26, 2013

April Movies

It's been a while since I've done a movie post, so here goes. Also, you must know that I watched far too many movies so far in April.

Celeste & Jesse Forever - I loved this movie. Had wanted to see it since it came out. I love how their friends freak out because they've been separted six months but are still best friends. And I definitely think you need time apart before you can come back and be friends after any relationship. This movie addresses just that.

Chicken and Plums - A great movie with surreal camera shots and a great plot. I believe it's the same folks who brought us Persepolis, but I'm not positive.

The Giant Mechanical Man - A sweet and interesting movie. If you're in the mood for something that will make you smile, this is it.

Hysteria - It's about the invention of the vibrator, and it's hilarious. It also lends thought to how ridiculous medical history is. They would manually stimulate women who were in "hysterics." Yep, that's science!

Smashed - Probably the most realistic movie I've seen to date dealing with alcoholism. Plus, it has Aaron Paul in it. You should watch it just for him. But the female star, whom I'd never seen before, does a stand out job.

Brian Posehn: The Fartist - The man is hilarious, without a doubt.

Meet The Fokkens - 69 year old twin prostitutes in Amsterdam. One of my favorite documentaries to date.

Beauty is Embarrassing - Wayne White is a genius, and he's hilarious. He designed a lot of the set and the characters for PeeWee's Playhouse. I'm madly in love with this man.

Evil Dead - Hell no it can't compare to the first one. And I wouldn't have even gone and seen it if Raimi and Campbell hadn't produced it. It was entertaining plus we saw it at the drive-in where the people watching was AMAZING. There was a huge lady drinking a deuce of Olde E through a straw. That's hella classy yo!

Django Unchained - I thoroughly enjoyed it in spite of the fact that Leonardo DiPooprio was in it. A very entertaining film.

Oldboy - By the director who did I'm A Cyborg But That's Ok. Very good film. I watched it because I heard Spike Lee is coming out with a remake of it soon, and I wanted to see the original before I saw Spike Lee's version, which I'm betting will be very good.

Well that's it folks. I watched a ton more but these are the ones I think you need to see.

Happy picture of the day: I can't figure out if she looks like a sausage in this picture, or a cow dog. All I know is she is seriously the best dog ever and I am lucky to have her.


16 comments:

  1. I've got Hysteria on my queue and a few of the others. Will you be shocked and disappointed to know that I am eagerly awaiting the summer blockbuster season this year? Iron Man, Star Trek, OMG! I might go into fits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the new Star Trek. I've been waiting for it forever.

      Delete
  2. I must now watch Hysteria. Also, if you would have filmed the lady ("lady" used in the most generous sense possible) drinking OE with a straw, I would watch it, loop it, put background music to it, figure out how to use ProTools, and make it a feature length documentary. If you liked Oldboy, I would recommend I Saw The Devil. Similarly disturbing, but now octopus eating scene.
    And to answer your conundrum, cow dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call her cow dog on pretty much a daily basis.

      Delete
  3. Aww, she's looks so happy laying there in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it out there. Then when she comes in she's all warm when I pet her. Tomorrow we see how she does when I try to hose her off and shampoo her.

      Delete
  4. Hey Mel! The dog looks like she's happily adjusted to life at your house. So sweet.

    Haven't had much time for movie watching lately but I am going to remedy that after the A-Z challenge is over. Chicken and plums is waiting for me on the DVD player now. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah- I forgot to mention the best movie I watched all month- The Intouchables. It is in French but has subtitles. I think you would love it- I thought it was brilliant!!

      I'm in total love with Omar Sy- who plays Driss.

      Delete
    2. The Intouchables is totally on my list. It looks amazing.

      Delete
  5. We call him Leonardo DiCrapio! ha ha! I don't have much to comment about the movies because I haven't seen any of them (I don't have a life...) but -

    That sweet girl laying in the sun!!! Awww! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any of those! I really wanted to see that Fokkens documentary, but forgot about it! I'll have to find it and watch it.

    Wuv that chubby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's already lost a little weight since she's been with me.

      Delete
  7. LOL to your D'Jango review! I LOVED this movie. so much!!!

    i can't wait to see beauty is embarrassing. i am going to try and squeeze it in before too long. i am so behind on everything -- tv, books, movies, blogging, LIFE. seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm commenting 5 days after I got the comments, so I get it! :)

      Delete
  8. Any idea if I could find any of these on Netflix? Also, cutest little sausage ever.

    ReplyDelete